There is a fantastic arts festival for kids running over the current school holidays at the Riverside Theatre in Parramatta. Called the “Spot On Children’s Festival”, it’s the fifth year that the Riverside Theatre has played host to a program of award-winning shows, relaxed performances and free activities.
It was our first time at Spot On, and we highly enjoyed the performance we came to see: The Owl’s Apprentice.
The show is a gorgeous mix of shadow and hand puppetry with physical comedy by the Little Wings Puppets company.
The recommended age for the show is 4-8 which I think is spot on. The kids laughed hard at jokes that included the word “bottom”, or related to wombats pooping squares, but I’m also sure that they absorbed the message at the heart of the show – that wisdom isn’t something that can be taught, but is the culmination of many life experiences.
Outside the theatre, in the courtyard of the theatre, a large variety of free activities have been set up for the duration of the festival, including Kinderling Radio, balloon-twisting, face painting, craft activities, a play gym, a photo booth, a chalk wall and more.
If you’re looking for a fun way to spend a day during the school holidays, I highly recommend checking out a show at the festival that is running until Oct 2 (so get in quick!).
The 2016 Spot On Children’s Festival program is available via the Riverside Theatres website at: riversideparramatta.com.au/spoton16
What: Spot On Children’s Festival
Dates: 27 September to 2 October 2016
Tickets: Free to $20. From the Box Office (02) 8839 3399 or http://www.riversideparramatta.com.au
Venue: Riverside Theatres – Corner of Church and Market Streets, Parramatta
Ages: Children aged 1-12 years
· The Listies 6D – 10.30am on 27 and 28 Sept; 1pm on 28 Sept
· The Owl’s Apprentice – 10am and 12.30pm on 27 and 28 Sept. Relaxed performance at 12.30pm on 27 Sept
· Curious Jac – 10am and 12.30pm on 29 and 30 Sept. Relaxed performance 12.30pm on 29 Sept
· Play Along with Sam – 11am and 2pm on 29 Sept
· The Young King – 10.30 am and 1pm on 29 Sept to 1 Oct
· Maya the Bee Movie – 2.15pm on 29 Sept
· In a Deep Dark Forest –12pm and 3pm on 30 Sept, 9:30am, 12pm and 3pm on 1 and 2 Oct
· Blinky Bill the Movie – 2.15pm on 30 Sept
· The Iron Giant: Signature Edition – 2.15pm on 1 Oct
· Kubo and the Two Strings – 2.15pm on 2 Oct
Thank you to the Spot On Children’s Festival for inviting us to check out The Owl’s Apprentice. We absolutely loved the show.
Christine is the editor of Adventure, Baby!